I'm having trouble with a MySQL installation on a FreeBSD4.5 system (MYSQL version
3.23.49).
>From time to time top shows that it runs >98% of CPU time, and of course the site's
>response gets sluggish...
Sometimes queries even times out or MySQL reports that no sockects are free to
complete the request.
This actually does not happen anymore, but it did a few times earlier...short time
after we had a disk crash... ;-)

I had a comment from one of the users regarding this:

>I seriously suspect that mySQL under FreeBSD is your problem. On another heavily
>loaded website I use (www.perlmonks.org), we're experiencing >similiar problems.
>Current speculation is that it has to do with the way the FreeBSD flock() function is
>broken.
>I imagine what you're seeing is lots of blocked mySQL processes, or where a query
>takes an exceptionally long time to complete. CPU utilization is >remaining pretty
>low during the event.

Just want to know if anybody has something to say to this matter, perhaps suggestions
on where to start for debugging the problem?
I have no clue where to begin looking for reasons, so any tip could very well be a
good tip for me right now!
Debugging tools or approaches to recommend...? Anybody?

Best regards,

            Eivind, [EMAIL PROTECTED]