> That would give the correct result, but it would still physically count
all
> the rows in the table which takes too long. This code will execute every
> time a web page opens that has a grid. Some of the grid pages are quite
> large, > 1 million rows. The person who designed the web page originally
> didn't think that would matter much. I keep telling him you can't count 1
> million rows every time a web page opens. The site would probably support
> around 5 people.<g>
>
> I will go with the "mysql_num_rows" which shouldn't add any additional CPU
> or I/O. It seems like a perfect solution once I move some code around.
Thanks.

> Mike

MySQL's COUNT(*) function is optimized to quickly return the total number of
rows in a table. Check the first definition on this page:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/G/r/Group_by_functions.html

Using a different SELECT statement and calling mysql_num_rows will return
the entire result set, which is what you are trying to avoid. So, if you
want to support more than 5 people on your site, use COUNT(*).

--jeff