Hi.

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:02:44AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 04:17:00PM +0200, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Maybe I am blind, but I cannot find, how I can query the status of
> > one of the variables I can set with SET OPTION. I.e. if I do
> >
> > SET OPTION SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL 1
> > SET OPTION AUTO_COMMIT 1
> >
> > What is / is there a way to query to current value?
>
> You're not blind. :-)

Ah. Lucky me :-)

Hm. Well, one of my tries was like

SET OPTION SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL          (without value, as with some shells)

or, something like

SET OPTION ?SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL         (idea borrowed from mutt)
SET OPTION SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL?
SET OPTION SQL_AUTO_IS_NULL=?

I avoid intentionally to use GET, because that may mean one more
reserved word. Other/better suggestions? And I should get some MySQL
developer to agree with the need. ;-)

Well, btw,

SET OPTION CHARACTER SET character_set_name | DEFAULT

is the only one not using '='. Is there any reason why '=' is not
used?

SET OPTION CHARACTER SET = character_set_name | DEFAULT

> > I stumbed upon this, when I wanted to recommend to someone to query
> > the value of AUTO_COMMIT to assure that the client interface (Perl's
> > DBD::ADO and DBD::mysql) has set the expected value.
>
> You mean compare the database handle's ($dbh) attribute with what the
> server thinks is has set?

Hm. Well, I guess I think so (Perl is not my strong side ;-). The
point was, that the described behaviour was inconsistent compared to
what should have been set by the different clients and I simply wanted
to exclude some points of failure by knowing what the server thinks.
So... yes :-)

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--