Hi,

 Hmm, I don't *really* agree on this lines. The 3.51 is using
 the same 2.50 code base with extensions that will not cause
 the performance issues like this.

 There is a chance that you enabled OPTION=32 from 3.51 which
 causes this issue, as this option will enable the driver to
 fetch the latest data from server. Make sure you turn off
 this option as well as other debug options, if there is any.

 If you still feel the driver is talking extra time, then
 please let me know, so that if there is anything we can
 incorporate in 3.51.03, which will have lot of code
 cleanups.

 Also, the performance will be increased drastically with 4.1
 protocol, which is tuned to have best performance from all
 client APIs with lot of advanced features.

Regards, Venu
--
For technical support contracts, go to https://order.mysql.com