Backgroud:
We have a process that runs on a server (APPDEV1) that writes records to a
mysql server (SQLDEV0). We attempted to move the databases from SQLDEV0 to
SQLDEV1 and have run into some sort of performance bottleneck. The server
SQLDEV0 is a Compac server with ~2GB of ram and two processors. The server
SQLDEV1 is also a Compac server. It has 4GB of ram and two processors that
are a bit faster than the ones in SQLDEV0.

One big difference between SQLDEV0 and SQLDEV1 is the version of RedHat.
SQLDEV0 is running RedHat 7.2. SQLDEV1 is running an enterprise version of
RedHat 7.2 so that it can take advantage of the 4GB of ram.

All the table spaces are using Innodb.

Problem:
The process on APPDEV1 can write records to the box SQLDEV0 about eight time
faster than to SQLDEV1. We've looked over the my.sql configurations and they
seem to be ok. In fact we adjusted the my.cnf file on SQLDEV1 so that it was
identicle to SQLDEV0 but it did not help. The systems are running ~70-95%
cpu idle so cpu is not a bottle neck. In testing, raw disk I/O rates are
about 50% faster on SQLDEV1 as SQLDEV0. We don't see a bottle neck on I/O.

This is the only process using mysql on SQLDEV1. On SQLDEV0 it shares access
with several other programs but the box is not very busy.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

Carl McNamee
Systems Administrator/DBA
Billing Concepts