Nick,
Monday, May 06, 2002, 3:58:34 PM, you wrote:

NW> * and then Egor Egorov declared....
>> "Access denied" error occurs when you have no required privileges to
>> connect to the MySQL server. You gave incomplete error message and I
>> can't give you detailed answer. Please, check the following
>> link, you can find description of this error there:
>>       http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/c/Access_denied.html

NW> Yes, I've already been there. No luck. the problem seems to be on/off
NW> part of the time it is okay and at other times not. It is just a regular
NW> 'Access denied to user 'nick@localhost using passwore YES' error.

Did you have successfully connected as 'nick@localhost' with the same password before
or
"Access denied" error appeared after you added this user?

If you have no successful connections before, how did you set up
privileges for your user? Are you sure that your password is correct?

Check also privilege tables, if there are any conflict entries.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com