more detail on this can be found here

http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/u/Multiple_servers.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Gurhan Ozen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 3:10 PM
To: Luc Foisy; MYSQL-List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Two database servers, same physical server

Hi,
To run multiple mysqld servers, you at least  have to specify a different
port number, different socket file path, different pid and error log file to
get it started. Different mysqld servers may point to the same database.
  To do this, just define the necessary information for your new mysqld
server in a my.cnf file, and start it with
./bin/safe_mysqld --defaults-file=/path/to/new/my.cnf &  .

Gurhan