[snip]
I have 2 tables with RecordDate in them, one has millions of records, one
has hundreds of records. If I perform the following query on the table with
hundreds;

mysql> select RecordDate
    -> from tblInfo
    -> WHERE RecordDate BETWEEN '2002-03-04' AND '2002-03-06'
    -> GROUP BY RecordDate;

Both tables are on the same machine, but the one with millions of records is
a MERGE table.
[snip]

Had a look at the table description (DESCRIBE tablename;) for the merge
table. There was an INDEX set on the RecordDate column. Since the RecordDate
columns in each of the tables comprising the merge already have INDEXes set
on them, there is no need for the INDEX to exist in the MERGE definition.
Removed the INDEX from the MERGE table definition and all appears to be
working well.

!

Jay

[rant]
P.S. Snipping is Good Thing, sound listizen behavior. When replying to a
message snip out all of the irrelevant portions to make your post easier to
read. We all will appreciate each other more.

P.P.S. Information is Good Thing. Describe your problem in as much detail as
possible, including things like OS version, MySQL version, and anything else
which you may think is relevant to the problem you are experiencing or the
question that you have. It will help responders to know more and therefore
be able to respond more succinctly to your query.

P.P.P.S. Apologies are a Good Thing. I reacted rather snippishly to a couple
of posts over the past couple of days due to the lack of information in a
post where we, the listizens, were supposed to devine what the problem was
in order to suggest a solution. Like a subject line of "Please HELP NOW",
with a message of, "My server is running too slow, what could be the
problem?". I am sorry I was sarcastic. See P.P.S. above.

P.P.P.S. RTFM
[/rant]