> This is too weird; I can quote until I see blew in the face, but I cannot
> seem to make MySQL understand that the name 'group-name' is valid to
> select. It keeps blabbing "You have an error in your SQL syntax". I mean,
> what is the purpose of its own quote function if it can not even quote
> properly? Every other name works fine, except when a WHERE clause looks
> for a column whose value has a dash in it. [/snip]
>
> Can we see the query?
>
> Jay

Sure.

$sth = $dbh -> prepare ("SELECT expiration from newsgroups WHERE
newsgroup='$group'");
$sth -> execute;

$group is a newsgroup name; all queries go fine, except one that has a dash
in it. I have tried quoting $group, like:

$newsgroup = $dbh -> quote ($group);

$group, btw, where it goes wrong, is a recovery newsgroup called
"alt.support.abuse-partners".

I have had Perl quotemeta the whole thing, I haver dropped and added the
single-quotes, I have used place-holders, etc. But I always get, "You have
an error in your SQL syntax".

Funnily enough, I had no problem inserting the name into the column.

Sigh. This is such a newbie question, I realize it. But it is rather
frustrating. I appreciate your help.

- Mark