On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:21:12AM -0400, Darrell A. Sullivan, II wrote:

> I am considering porting our applications that currently use an
> in-house database schema to MySQL. I need to setup a test system to
> try this out and I am needing a few pointers.

Excellent.

> First, what type of processor setup will provide the best
> performance assuming that there will be multiple connections to the
> database on a regular basis (about 50 users at a time.

The fastest you can get your hands on. :-)

Ideally, you might consider using multiple processors if you have an
operating system that is friendly with threads on multiple CPUs
(Linux, Solaris, Windows NT/2000/XP).

> Most of the time they will be hitting seperate tables, but some
> tables are used by everyone) and this could increase to 150 over the
> next 12 months.

150 users?  Okay.  Not a problem.

> I am planning to have a RAID 0+1 setup with 6 drives dedicated to
> the database.

An excellent choice.

> Assuming the drives, raid controller, memory, etc. remain constant,
> what type of Intel/AMD processor configuration will give the best
> performance?

The biggest variables yet are:

  1.  How much data will be in the tables?
  2.  How much data will be manipulated in typical queries?
  3.  How much RAM will the box have?  It depends on #1 to a degree.

If you can tell us that, we can better guide you.

But assuming a reasonable amount of data (a few GB) you should be able
use something like a dual P3-866 with 1GB of ram and have a lot of
capacity to spare for growth.

> Second, is there a guid anywhere that goes into the proper
> configuration of the Linux kernel for a machine that will be a
> dedicated MySQL server including anything necessary for replication
> to work?

You shouldn't have to touch the kernel.  Standard RedHat kernels are
just fine as-is.

> I am not a Linux guru by any stretch of the imagination, but it
> seems like the standard Red Hat installation probably has a lot of
> stuff compiled into it that I don't need operational for a dedicated
> database server.

Ahh, you're using Linux.  Good.

Software that happens to be installed on the machine, but not running,
doesn't hurt you at all.  It just consumes disk space.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 4.0.2: up 1 days, processed 41,977,865 queries (262/sec. avg)