Dear Mr. Jeremy D. Zawodny,

I am subscriber of the mysql.com MailingList and have received some of your
mails.
 From the mails I get the idea that you have quite some experience with mysql.

We are planning to migrate our database (currently oracle) to mysql.

Our database consists of about 150 columns (which we are planning to put
all into one table under mysql so that queries run faster and dont have to
join different tabels) and about 500k rows.
The main field type we are using is varchar, tinyint, int, smallint and
date. (lots of varchars).
Queries may run over as much as 15 to 20 columns (some of them varchar,
some of them tinyint).
Queryload my be heavy. (about 100 concurrent queries)

Here are my questions:
1. Is it a good idea to have all the columns in one big table ?
2. Does mysql encounter problems with indexes (speed, performance) when
having large amount of rows ?
3. What kind of server configuration (hardware) for the dedicated
MySQL-Server would you suggest to get a decent performance ?
4. How many concurrent threads/queries can we expect to achieve ?
5. Shall we look into replicating (master/slave) to get better performance
? If yes, how would you suggest a possible setup.
6. Is char() a better choice than varchar() in terms of speed when queries
are run (we are aware of the fact that char() requires more disc space) ?

It would be very helpful for us if you could help us with the above questions..

Thank you very much.
Best regards.

Florian Wilken
Waldenserstr. 35