I'm not sure whether your question is about column types or the NOW()
function.

TIMESTAMP fields are defined as being automatically updated every time the
row is modified.
If you want a field which simply holds a "timestamp" which does *not* get
automatically updated, use a DATETIME or similar column type.
If you want this column to have the "creation time" of the row, you've got
to remember to set it to NOW() every time you do an INSERT. Unfortunately, I
don't know any way to do the equivalent of setting the column default to
NOW().