Benjamin...

        I get a feel for the amount of activity by looking at the
processes running and the amount of cpu time they are using.. (on
linux: ps xu)
        Correct me if I am wrong. I understand that the sort_buffer is the
most important when creating keys... I set the sort buffer to 1000M and
key buffer to 200M.

Ramon