Todd,
Saturday, May 11, 2002, 6:46:21 PM, you wrote:

TC> Coming from an Interbase background, I am use to using the Interbase Data
TC> Definition language to create the DB then use PHP to access it.  From my brief
TC> reading, it appears that I should create a PHP script that creates the DB.  Is
TC> that correct?

Todd, there are a lot of ways to create a database, but in any case you should
connect to the MySQL server :) You can create database from shell using
mysqladmin program; you can connect to the MySQL server using mysql
client program and then create database; you can use any GUI and
create database with it; you can use PHP and other languages to
connect to the server and then create database :)
Look at our manual, it will be very useful for you:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/

TC> What is the preferred extension for a MySQL DB?  With Interbase it is "gdb".

In InterBase whole database is stored in one file (*.gdb), MySQL has
another structure. MySQL has several table types, so how tables are stored depends on
their types:)
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/a/Table_types.html

The most commonly used are MyISAM and InnoDB tables.
MyISAM tables, default table type, are stored in 3 files: *.MYI -
contains index, *.MYD - contains data, *.frm - contains data dictionary information.
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MyISAM.html

InnoDB tables are stored in InnoDB table space:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB.html

Check also the following link:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/a/Table_and_index.html

TC> Many thanks...
TC> Todd

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com