Dear MySQL Wizards,

I have a database with several tables.  I want to update a field in that
table with a field contained in another table.  I have a unique key to use
for a WHERE clause.

This is easy to do with various procedural languages (Business Basic, for
one) but I don't find much info in MySQL documentation for doing this, other
than the UPDATE command (which produces an error, see below).  I want to open
a file, read a record, retrieve another record based on a key value in the
previously read record, change the values appropriately, and then write the
updated record back out. ?

I have been successful at running a SELECT like this:

connect database;
SELECT A.*,B.Registrant from A INNER JOIN B USING (Cultivar);

This gives me a listing to the screen that looks like it worked.  Now I'd
like to update the table A with what comes from table B (for the field called
Registrant, present in both tables).

UPDATE A SET A.Registrant=B.Registrant WHERE A.Cultivar=B.Cultivar;

When I execute this statement, I get an error that it can't find the second
table in the database but I know it is there--I can access, browse, update
records in that table, etc.

It seems like this should be a common thing to want to do but a gentleman
yesterday on the SuSE list said that this may not be possible with MySQL.

If not, can I write the Query results of the SELECT statement out to a new
table and delete the original table?

TIA for any help.

Andrew Lietzow
The ACL Group, Inc.