From: Mark Matthews [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 4:28 PM
To: Keith C. Ivey; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Column Header/ Column Description

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith C. Ivey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 4:54 PM

> On 15 May 2002, at 16:06, Mark Matthews wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in hearing what databases you have used that have this
> > functionality? SQL server and Oracle do not, for example.
>
> MS Access does.  Also, it seems a bit inconsistent that MySQL has
> metadata (the comment) associated with each table, but has nothing
> similar for databases or columns.  It's certainly not essential, but
> I've wondered about it before.

I'm of the opinion that storing the sort of metadata you're talking about in
the database is a bad idea. I don't even think that the table comment
functionality that MySQL does have is absolutely necessary. Storing this
sort of metadata in the database seems to be counterproductive to me,
especially because it's only available if you know SQL and are working with
the database. But that's another discussion.

I would hope that developers create table and column names that are
descriptive enough to get a general understanding of what's going on, and
that anything that wasn't self-describing is documented in a set of "release
notes" or a data dictionary.

I'm also of the opinion that a picture is a much better tool for this sort
of thing. Unfortunately, there aren't many open-source ERD editors out
there.

    -Mark