Hi Erik,

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 07:50, Erik Fears wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to a database problem I'm having. The
> current implementation is a file based database of roughly 57
> million entries. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience running
> a mysql based database with 50-100 million entries ? I was told that
> mysql was optomized to be fast, and would not be able to handle databases
> of large sizes and I'm just wondering if this is largely true or not.

The latter is not correct. MySQL is indeed designed to be fast, but
MySQL is also fully capable of handling large databases.  One does not
preclude the other.

The issue is simply that for small databases, OS and server tuning,
proper table and application design, are often regarded as less
important since the system will be fast enough anyway. Naturally, as a
database grows, these issues do become more important.

Clearly, throwing more hardware (or different RDBMS software) at the
problem is not the real solution. It merely evades the aforementioned
issues of tuning and design.

The MySQL manual (http://www.mysql.com/doc/) contains some good pointers
on OS and server tuning, table design and query optimisation. There are
also good books on the subject. Some design methods are relevant for all
RDBMS, some are specific to MySQL and/or your particular application.

In addition, MySQL AB provides services such as training
(http://www.mysql.com/training/) where these things as well as other
fundamentals are extensively covered, and of course consulting
(http://www.mysql.com/consulting/).

Generally speaking, nothing beats experience (backed up with training).
In situations where you don't have enough time to gain the necessary
experience yourself, consulting might be a better short-term option
since it acquires the experience externally. Training is still
recommended though, since it is always best if you are (in the future)
able to help yourself.

To return to your question, there are MySQL users that have many times
more rows in their databases than the numbers you mention. Some of these
you will find as Success Stories on the MySQL website
(http://www.mysql.com/), and perhaps others will write their own reply
here. In any case, running a database of this size with MySQL is not a
problem.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training in Australia: 9-13 Sep 2002,
https://order.mysql.com/?marl