Andre,

AS> Were running replication on our Prod. DB (3.23.42 on SuSE 7.0) since a
AS> half year. Our way to rotate the binlog files was to stop all software
AS> inserting data into the Prod. DB and then reset the master and the
AS> replication server. This works fine but produces a downtime of aprox. 10
AS> minutes every time we rotate the files.

AS> In the last week were tryout a new procedure to rotate the binlog files.

AS> First we locked all tables for writing, wait until the replication
AS> server has executed all outstanding SQL Querys and then reseted the
AS> master
AS> and the replication server. This produces a downtime of less than 2
AS> minutes only.

AS> But after we restarted the replication, the master writes all updates
AS> into one binlog file which grows up and up. If the binlog file reached
AS> the filesystem limit of 2GB (on ext2) all updates written to the file
AS> are lost and the replication stops without any error message.

AS> The strange thing is that we set the max_binlog_size variable in the
AS> my.cnf file to a limit of 30MB. The variable will be ignored if we use
AS> the new procedure to rotate the binlog files but works fine with the old
AS> one.

AS> The final result now is that the DBs are out of sync and we have to
AS> spend a downtime of aprox. 45 minutes to bring the DBs back in sync.

AS> Does anybody knows the reason for that problem and have a fix? Is this
AS> strange behavior a bug or a goodie?

The correct way to rotate logs is FLUSH LOGS; PURGE LOGS TO ...
You are using an old version where there are no protection from user
error. Probably error occurs because that you set up
log-bin=/path/to/log.ext instead of log-bin=/path/to/log.

AS> I searched through the mailinglist and the web but could not find any
AS> solution yet.

AS> Thanx...

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com