For real-life example, check out http://cdbaza.ultracgis.com, and check
out the filename
of the thumbnails images. I'm SELECTing those images from the MySQL
database.

That's how it's done:

1_ Create a table to store your JPGs, and the column that holds JPG data
   should be declared as BLOB

        CREATE TABLE images (
                image_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUT_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
                image BLOB NOT NULL
        );

 2_ Now you are ready to load the JPG data into the image column.
    I use Perl to open the JPG file and dump the contents into the table,
    and the resulting query looks something like:

    INSERT INTO images SET image="here goes contents of the JPG file";

    Perl code that does this job would look like:

    local ($/);
    sysopen (JPG, "test.jpg", O_RDONLY) or die $!;
    $dbh->do(qq|INSERT INTO images SET image=?|, undef, <JPG>);
    close (JPG);

Sorry if you don't know Perl, but you should be able to do similar
thing in any other language you might be using

Good luck!

--
Sherzod