Hoa,
Tuesday, May 21, 2002, 6:33:46 AM, you wrote:

HD> Please don't kill me.  I want to learn about databases.  I hear MySQL is a
HD> good start.  I have RedHat Linux and I've download and (I believe) installed
HD> mysql.

HD> Okay, my questions are?  What is the difference between the mysql server and
HD> the client program?

:-)
MySQL is a RDBMS (Relational DataBase Management System). Briefly
MySQL server makes management of databases, data storage and processing
and so on
MySQL client program is used to communicate with MySQL server :)

HD> Do I need both?

If you want to work with MySQL server you must have it :) As a client
program you can use MySQL client program or any GUI or you can
develop your own application :)

HD> What is the role of the server and
HD> what is the role of the client program?

See above.

HD> How do I start inputing data into
HD> the database?

At first you should create your database. How to create databases read
in our manual:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/r/Creating_database.html

At second you should create a table:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/R/CREATE_TABLE.html

About inserting data into tables you can also read in our manual:
      http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/N/INSERT.html

HD> Thanks in advance for your help.
HD> Hoa

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com