On Tue, 21 May 2002, Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> Michael>      Possible Bug in UPDATE in MySQL 4.0.1
>
> <cut>
>
> Michael> Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
> Michael> where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
> Michael> terribly wrong...
> Michael> Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
> Michael> 0x807db7f
> Michael> 0x823d64a
> Michael> 0x8204447
> Michael> 0x821bbd6
> Michael> 0x820bb41
> Michael> 0x80d082f
> Michael> 0x80b0479
> Michael> 0x8086de7
> Michael> 0x808a262
> Michael> 0x8084e57
> Michael> 0x808a694
> Michael> 0x8084296
> Michael> Stack trace seems successful - bottom reached
> Michael> Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/Using_stack_trace.html and follow
> Michael> instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
> Michael> stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
> Michael> resolve it
>
> Michael, could you please read the above instructions and try to
> resolve the backtrace for us?
>
> <cut>
>
> >> How-To-Repeat:
> Michael>      Did this query on a database called 'medical' below text
>
> Michael>      UPDATE `Physical Examination Report` SET `History of Present
> Michael> Illness`='moo\r\nfoo\r\nboo.' WHERE `ID Code of Appointment`=27
>
> Any chance you could ftp a copy of the 'Physical Examination Report'
> table to ftp://support.mysql.com/pub/mysql/secret
> so that we could try to repeat the problem ?
>
> Just having the table definition formats is not enough to repeat a
> problem like this!
>
> <cut>
>
> Regards,
> Monty

I've uploaded the table as PhysicalExaminationReport.tar.gz to the above
location.  It is very small (actually it only contains one or two records
if I recall)  The following is the stack trace resolved...

0x807db7f handle_segfault__Fi + 383
0x823d64a pthread_sighandler + 154
0x8204447 _mi_compare_text + 71
0x821bbd6 _mi_ft_cmp + 158
0x820bb41 mi_update + 721
0x80d082f update_row__9ha_myisamPCcPc + 67
0x80b0479
mysql_update__FP3THDP13st_table_listRt4List1Z4ItemT2P4ItemP8st_orderUl15enum_duplicates13thr_lock_type
 + 2473
0x8086de7 mysql_execute_command__Fv + 5723
0x808a262 mysql_parse__FP3THDPcUi + 270
0x8084e57 dispatch_command__F19enum_server_commandP3THDPcUi + 1319
0x808a694 do_command__FP3THD + 88
0x8084296 handle_one_connection__FPv + 546