Yep, I'm a n00b, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm having a problem installing MySQL version 4.0.1-2 (or any other
version for that matter).

I'm starting a rather large project where our funds are limited and we
want a high performance database, so we chose to go with MySQL.  Since
we need functions that are only in version 4.0.x (actually we will need
functions that are only going to be in 4.1, but we can wait for most of
those for now), I've been trying to install that.  Originally in RedHat
7.1, then 7.2, then 7.3.  None of the installs that weren't default
(with the OS) have worked yet.  I never actually checked the 3.x
versions that installed with the OS, so they may have not worked either
though.

The error that I commonly get (only see errors when I try manually
installing it, otherwise it gives me no errors, but it just doesn't
work) involve resolveip (can't lookup localhost.localdomain with
resolveip or something like that).

I've followed the directions from the website, other websites and even
in the "MySQL & mSQL" book by O'REILLY and no matter what directions I
follow, I end up with the same problem, can't connect to the db server,
even from the db server (let alone one of the other Linux boxes on the
network or one of the Win* boxes on the network).

Any ideas?  Other than RTFM, I've done that and can't seem to find
anything related to the problem that I'm having.

Server setup:

Dual AMD 1600+
OS: openMosix/RedHat 7.3 (currently) for AMD SMP
eth0: DHCP (192.x.x.x)
eth1: static (10.x.x.x)

If there is anything else that you might need to know, I'll post that
information also, I figure that this is probably the information that is
relevant and I'm trying to keep this under my standard 'novella' that I
write in e-mails.

Thanks for any help,
Matt