I've noticed that MySQL doesn't support the use of internal selects with the
in and not in methods such as in this example from a where statement.

                and shift_id not in
            (select shift_assoc from facdba.staff_schedule_temp
            where status <> 'EXL')

This functionality is available in Oracle but I'm trying to use a program I
wrote on a sever running MySQL.  I'm able to do everything else with some
changes to my sql statements, but I need the ability to do an internal
select on the fly in my sql statements so that I can compare a value from
one table to a list of results from another select.  In this particular
example, I do not have the ability to call the internal select first and
then insert it into the next database call.  It needs to be done on the fly
because unlike the simple example above, this call is very complex and
involves may variables and unioned selects.

 Joins don't work especially since I'm using the "NOT IN" clause.  I find it
really hard to believe that MySQL doesn't have support for this or some
other functionality to replace it.  I mean it has everything else and then
some.  But I've searched the documentation and haven't found anything.

If anyone knows a way to perform an internal select similar to what is shown
above, please let me know.
---
Alan Coleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]