Having impossible problems installing MySQL.

Starting a project and don't want to use Oracle (cost is outrageous) or
anything on MSSQL (which performs like crap).

I keep getting errors involving resolveip when I install, or it just don't
work.  When I try to run the ./configure command in Linux (7.1-7.3), it
kicks me back an error.  If I use the rpm installation, it seems to install
fine, but when I go to access the db from anywhere, it never works.

I've followed the directions on the web site, other web sites and even from
a book that I bought (MySQL and mSQL from O'Reilly), none of the directions
seem to work.  What the heck am I doing wrong?

BTW, we need the supported commands in 4.0.x and 4.1.x, so we're trying to
start with 4.0.1-2 right now, so that the changes we have to make will be
minimal when 4.0.x becomes stable and 4.1.x becomes stable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt