Nick,

        You're going to be mostly out of luck.

You can ship a MySQL binary with a pre-configured config, and get the java
app to exec the binary, and send a shutdown command when it's finished.

Alternatively you can assist me in developing my Type II driver for MySQL,
then embed libmysqld in a native DLL which can be loaded with
System.loadLibrary() or whatever it is.

Currently the Type II driver isn't very good though, because it doesn't
support any operation except Statement.executeUpdate() which isn't much use.

unfortunately I have little time to develop this so it's unlikely to progress
much - also my approach has been wrong - I've developed an independent driver
when what I should really do is extend Mark Matthews' excellent type IV
driver.

Cheers
        Mark