From: Jeff Field [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 5:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: change default root user name?

I've had a question that I haven't really seen addressed anywhere...

Is it okay to change the default "root" user name to a different name?  Any
issues involved by doing so?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me that, because everyone knows that
MySQL installs with the root user, one simple extra security measure would
be to change the name; then someone pounding your server trying all possible
password combos with root won't stand a chance.  Am I missing anything?

Jeff