I think this is a bug
it seems it is reasonable since UNIX/C does consider back slash a
escape prefix for a sequence, in some case, it is not as nice as you think.

in multi-character set, back slash can be included in one of the
multi-characters.

I fix the problem by writing a VB program and a special handling in UNIX/C
program. Method is just to add another back slash whenever a back slash
is detected.
this is sure also a problem in load data, insert ...infile , etc commands.

let me say it another way
if there is a X sequence in UNIX/C
whenever "X" is encountered , you must add another "X" to it in order to
let the string normally insert into table, what do you think?
the problem is whether you think back slash can be part of a string.

FYI, database like oracle, informix, sybase all support multicharacter set
with back slash contained string support, consider it, please~

:)

Borus