you can try command "ps -ef | grep mysql"
to see if "safe_mysqld" is alive
and also one or more "mysqld" processes are running

to check the socket

type command "netstat -na | grep 3306" see if you can see
the processes are listening to the socket
if the socket if not being listen, you cannot connect to it

for errors, check the file  [mysql installation dir]/var/[server name].err

borus