Glenn,

GH> I have  had trouble with the script that creates my user access tables.
GH> I am assuming those tables should get created in the ./var/mysql folder.

They are created in the MySQL data dir. So, if you data dir is
/var/mysql they will be created there ...

GH> Its my fault but I removed those tables just to see if they had anything to
GH> do with me not being able to use the mysql database server.  I figured it
GH> was ok because I thought they had been created by the script but now they
GH> are no longer their and subsequent runs of the script are not creating them.
GH> Am I missing something?

You should run mysql_install_db script to create new privilege
tables, look at:
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysql_install_db.html

Check if there are any host.frm, host.MYD, user.frm etc. files?

GH> Thanks,
GH> -glenn hancock

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com