> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 18:44, Dave Watkins wrote:
> > At 16:02 22/05/2002 +0800, Patrick Hsieh wrote:
> > >Hello list,
> > >
> > >I am expecting to have 30,000 http clients visting my website at the
> > >same time. To meet the HA requirement, we use dual firewall, dual
> > >Layer-4 switch and multiple web servers in the backend. My problem is,
> > >if we use the user-tracking system with apache, php and mysql, it will
> > >surely brings a huge amount of database traffic. How can I balance mysql
> > >load among multiple mysql server yet assure the data consistency among
> > >them? My idea is:

I suggest that you do use clustering. However, you are better off running the Database
in a fail over manner as opposed to load balancing multiple db machines. However, a
bit of load balancing can be achieved if all reads are done from replicated machines
and all writes are done to the master. Just as the manual suggests.

For the rest of it (not including the firewalls and switch) you could use a product
like TurboCluster 6. It will load balance and monitor the health of every machine in
the cluster, including it's software, and in the event a node goes down, the action
taken can be customized. The machine that manages the cluster can also run with a
backup of it's own that in the event of failure would take over witout admin
intervention. It can also track returning users and route them to a server they
previously visited. You can understand why this is good. It doesn't care about what OS
is running on any of the machines in the backend and the load balancing can even run
"Weighted round robin" if you using a heterogenous topography. When designing our
setup, I pushed hard to make sure that we used the same hardware and configuration in
each machine as much as was possilbe. That certainly eases tuning issues.

Anyway, I would check this out. The price is 2k$ for a ten node cluster and two
traffic mangers. Nothing else is going to even close.

Later on,
TRC