Rick:

I believe this is a faq, but check permissions.
bash-2.05$ ls -lrtd /mysql/
drwxr-x---   42 mysql    mysql        4096 May  1 11:34 /mysql/

[root@winslow RPMS]# ls -lrt /var/lib/mysql/
total 12
drwx------    2 mysql    mysql        4096 May 24 22:01 test
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql         146 May 24 22:01 winslow.log
drwx------    2 mysql    mysql        4096 May 24 22:01 mysql
srwxrwxrwx    1 mysql    mysql           0 May 24 22:01 mysql.sock

The first invocation from a source distro.  The second from a binary RH 7.2
installation.

Send the about to the list, and someone should be able to give the command to
fix your problem to you.

Regards,
Van
Linux rocks!!!   http://www.dedserius.com/