view this article, it's work fine with vb6 :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q194975

' insert
   Dim ts As String, Sql As String

   Dim RS
   Set RS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
   RS.CursorLocation = adUseServer
   RS.Open "tbl_test", CreateConnexionString(CnxSGDB), 3, 2, 2

   RS.AddNew ' create a new record
   FileToBlob "c:\test\barre.bmp", RS!test
   RS.Update
   RS.Close

' select

   Sql = "select * from tbl_test order by ID desc Limit 1"
   Set tstcnxADO = New ADODB.Connection
   tstcnxADO.ConnectionString = CreateConnexionString(CnxSGDB)
   tstcnxADO.CursorLocation = adUseServer
   tstcnxADO.Open

   If tstcnxADO.State = adStateOpen Then
      Set RS = New ADODB.Recordset
      RS.Open Sql, tstcnxADO, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
      BlobToFile RS!test, "c:\test\testmysql.bmp", RS!test.ActualSize
      RS.Close
      tstcnxADO.Close
   End If

Bien a vous