pmoscatt,
Tuesday, May 28, 2002, 2:23:00 AM, you wrote:

p> I am new to mysql and having trouble understanding the installation procedures for
linux (Mandrake).
p> I have downloaded the "mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz" and unpacked it in
/usr/local as root.
p> I then issued the following commands as per the install procedures:

p>   groupadd mysql
p>   useradd -g mysql mysql
p>   cd /usr/local
p>   gunzip <the tar file>
p>   ln -s mysql-3.23.49a-pc-linux-gnu-i686
p>   cd mysql
p>   scripts/mysql_install_db
p>   chown -R root /usr/local/mysql
p>   chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
p>   chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
p>   chown -R root /usr/local/mysql/bin
p>   bin/safe_mysql --user=mysql &

p> From here, this is where I have lost the scent.  I would have thought I needed to
run ./configure ...
p> But it indicated that this has already been done.  I have tested the system and I
can see the "test" database and it's contents.

p> Later in the documentation under "Connecting to and Disconnecting from the Server"
I see the following command:
p>   mysql -h host -u user -p
p> and from there I should see the welcom screen, but this dosen't happen.

Did you received "Access denied" error?

p> What am I doing wrong ??

By default MySQL has 2 user after installation: user 'root' without a
password and anonymous user ''(empty string) without a password, too.
User 'root' has all privileges on all databases. Anonymous user has
grants only on the database 'test'.
Look at:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/D/e/Default_privileges.html

p> Would I be better trashing it and getting the RPM from rpmfind and installing that
instead - where I am assuming the rpm version will set up all the background admin
work ready for use ?

p> Best Regards
p> Pete

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com