Hi,
I am new to this list and new to mySQL and PHP so please excuse the
simplicty of my questions.

Is it possible to create your own shopping cart program with just mySQL and
PHP?

Right now I am building a database for my companies new web page. I am
looking to build an e-commerce site, but I prefer to build it myself as much
as possible as opposed to buying a shopping cart program and what not.
However, we are not hosting the site ourselves, so I do not have complete
control over the back-end. I have two questions on this...

1) I am trying to build my own shopping cart. When building an orders
database, is it possible to make room for an infinite number of items in the
order? Right now I have a Field for Item, a Field for Quantity, and a field
for Item Total. This constitutes one item line in the order. Do I need a
seperate field for each item in one table? Would it be better to have a
second table just for items in an order? If I did that what what would be a
good way to link the two (ie. how would you pass the primary key from the
Order table to individual lines of the Items table)?

2) The items we sell require a many to many relationship. I have not been
able to find any information about many-many relationships in mySQL. Even
when I was using access, I knew how to relate the tables using a junction
table, but damned if I could figure out how to enter information easily like
that. We sell Ink, Toner, and Ribbon. So, there are multiple inks that work
in one machine, and multiple machines that use one ink. Do you link these in
mySQL the same as you would in Acess? Is there a way to create a form using
PHP that would be able to pass information to all three tables (Product,
Machine, and Junction)? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated
as I have been going in circles with this for a while now.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer,
Erin