I was hoping for some help with this -- I'm not sure if I can use just
one SQL statement to pull this data out, I think I need to use two
separate statements.  Can someone clarify for me?

My tables:

+-------------+      +---------------+
| people      |      | projects      |
+-------------+      +---------------+
| people_id   |-----<| project_id    |
| people_name |      | project_name  |
+-------------+      | canceler_id   |
                      | canceled_date |
                      | finisher_id   |
                      | finished_date |
                      +---------------+

In the "projects" table, a project will have a project_id, a
project_name, and either a canceler_id and canceled_date or a
finisher_id and finished_date.  I would like to use a query to get the
project name and the people name from the database WHERE
projects.project_id = 8 AND projects.canceler_id = people.people_id, or
projects.finisher_id = people.people_id, depending on whether the
project was finished or canceled.  But I also need to be able to
determine from the query whether the project was finished or canceled.

Thanks!

Erik

----

Erik Price