I'm trying to find any and all thoughts on whether to store files in the db (PDF's,
word docs etc) or in the filesystem. If I do in the fs then there is tons of overhead
because of new folders, each client having thier own folder(and subfolders) etc. And
then htaccess'ing the dir's independently along with the overhead of keeping track of
the htaccess files. I admit php has good classes for htaccess stuff, but the
intergration between apache and php security isn't at that level yet. Right now I'm
developing on my own server, but it will be moved to a hosting co, so I'm not sure if
they will have mod_auth_mysql ,probably not due to the limitations for required
settings in the conf file.

So I started developing with the htaccess stuff, and am now pondering the use of the
db to store the files, I did some searching and found several people saying there was
a huge discussion on the mailing list about the middle of 2001, but I've been unable
to find it. Does anyone know where this is? Can anyone throw out a few
drawbacks/advantages other than the ones I'm thinking of?

Will anyone elighten me?

Thank you,

Dan

sql, query