At 10:25 AM 5/30/2002, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>How is MySql compare to Access database?  I understand that Access
>database is fit for a small environment where you have 5 to 10 users.  Can
>MySql handle larger environment like Oracle, Microsoft SQL or it is just
>like Access?

Andy,
           MySQL has two dominant table types. MyISAM (default) is quite
good for ReadOnly tables or when the table is not getting updated (say less
than 10-20 users updating it every second). That is because it is using
table locking. If your tables are getting a large number of updates per
second from different users, then it is best to use InnoDb table type. It
uses an Oracle type row locking and they claim they have sites doing 1,200
transactions/second. (I'd like to see Access to that!) Both table types
(and a few more) are available in MySQL. With InnoDb you need to
pre-allocate your file space. The new version of InnoDb will allocate new
space if you run out.  Either way, by pre-allocating file space, you get
around the 2gb file size limit that is imposed by most operating systems.
You can several of these 2g file spaces so your database can grow quite
large. See http://www.innodb.com/ for more info.

Mike