Benjamin,

BP> Hello.

Thanks for the feedback.

BP> 3.23.36 is a bit outdated by now

Sure -- actually that's why I was vague about the side-issue (below)
and why I checked the changelogs for an explicit fix to my main
problem.

BP> been several bug fixes regarding GRANT/REVOKE since then. So you
BP> may consider upgrading and check if you find the problems still
BP> reproducable.

Okay - I can live with the workaround for now anyway, and I'll get a
later version next time I sync. with RPM's. I generally only update on
a needs basis, most notably for security, as I like to keep things
stable and conservative where I can :)

>> (a) [SIDE ISSUE]

BP> That is a bit too vague to be useful. Can you provide a repeatable
BP> test case?

I'm content that I had a few glitchy behaviours, but rather than spend
time in detail I just wanted to give a "heads-up" and if I find the
problem explicitly in an up-to-date version then I'll report more
fully. This part just for info.

BP> You know that the privileges have different points when they are
BP> evaluated again?

I had read that, but I took it to refer to automatic regeneration when
grant/revoke weren't used (unlike the older approach where manual
adjustment in mysql.* never updated), and assumed that grant/revoke
being explicit were always clever enough to tell user sessions what
the state of play was...

...so, you're saying that grant/revoke changes may not be effective
immediately in accordance with these reload points? That would explain
a lot of it.

There was one case where granting/revoking table-specific and/or
database-wide privileges left something table-specific in place when
it should have (in a single session - not across users logged in or
whatever), but I can't remember the specifics. As I say, I'll leave
these details until I have a newer version.

Meanwhile...

>> (b) [MAIN ISSUE]

This was the real subject of my posting.

BP> I cannot reproduce the problem you described on 3.23.46:

Sounds like it's prolly fixed then. Might that be the case even
without an entry in the changelog? I guess general correction in
source code that wasn't done to address a specific problem may not be
listed whilst fixing the problem.

Although, just for clarification...

mysql>> GRANT FILE ON *.* TO philemon@localhost;
[..snip..]
mysql>> SELECT * FROM db WHERE db='yasg' AND user='philemon' \G
BP> *************************** 1. row ***************************
BP>     Select_priv: Y
BP>     Insert_priv: Y
BP>     Update_priv: Y
BP>     Delete_priv: Y

I only had *NO* privileges in the 'db' table for the user. Like I
mentioned, the privilege I granted was *just* for the table from which
I wanted to select data, so no entry in 'db', but an entry in
'table_priv' with just 'select' privilege specified.

Do you want a copy of the transcript I've posted to the list a number
of times over the last couple of days? It may help illustrate the
steps to reproduce.

BP> Well, sometimes bugs have side-effects which are not obvious by
BP> the description in the change history. There have been several
BP> fixes to the handling of files and to the privilege system. So
BP> IMHO 3.23.36 is not an appropriate version for discussing issues
BP> with these and you should either upgrade or provide repeatable
BP> test cases (as I have done for you in one case), so that others
BP> with newer versions can verify it against their systems.

Yes, I started with a repeatable test-case in a detailed transcript
but I think my initial posting didn't catch people's attention <g> so
maybe I would need to copy that to you again for a quick stab with a
newer version...
...or wait until I upgrade and I'll re-try.

Cheers folks,
James.