Hi everyone,
Somewhat new to the list (and very new to mySQL), so thanks for you help
in advance. I installed RedHat 7.1 (Seawolf) on a PC, and it came with
mysql 3.23.36. I logged in as a regular admin user and typed mysql to
get started... see what I could get accomplished just playing around.

[chris@the_pc /] $ mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
[chris@the_pc /] $ mysqld
020530 17:43:26 Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Address
already in use
020530 17:43:26 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?
020530 17:43:26 Aborting
[chris@the_pc /] $ cd /var/lib/mysql
[chris@the_pc /] $ ls -F
mysql/ mysql.sock= test/ the_pc.log

OK, so mysql.sock is a socket... and it exists. I checked the setup
program, and mysqld is set to run at system start, but disabling this
did not help at all.

Any ideas/tips? Thanks again

Chris Garaffa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]