Hi.

Please, please always cite error message if you get any. Most time
they will be instant clue to some list members and without them it is
almost always the start of "guessing time".

That said, it sounds as if the "another user" does not have the file
privilege to access the UNIX socket (that .sock file), which is needed
to make the connection to the MySQL server. For more info, read
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/a/Can_not_connect_to_server.html

As intermediate solution you can try to connect via TCP sockets by
giving an hostname/IP. Something like

mysql -h 127.0.0.1

Bye,

        Benjamin.