MySQL wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>It seems that some is misunderstanding my problem, so i try to re-write my problem
>again.
>

>I just wonder. I have tried this example from www.mysql.org Doc.
>
>CREATE TABLE parent(id INT NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (id)) TYPE=INNODB;
>CREATE TABLE child(id INT, parent_id INT, INDEX par_ind (parent_id),
>             FOREIGN KEY (parent_id) REFERENCES parent(id)
>             ON DELETE SET NULL
>) TYPE=INNODB;
>
>But, the constraint does not work propperly. If i add 1 and 2 in the parent table
>like this:
>
>insert into parent values (1);
>insert into parent values (2);
>
>and  1,1 and 1,6 in the child table, like this:
>
>insert into child values (1,1);
>insert into child values (1,6);
>
>, it still works !!!!!!
>
>What i know, is that the constraint is voilated if i insert the last insert statement
>(insert into child values (1,6)), because 6 is NOT in the parent table!!!!
>
>BTW: Any value is accepted in the child table - Thats Strange!!!
>
>Does anyone know if there is a Bug in the mysql, or im just getting it all wrong????
>If you know howto make the constraints work please write a little example - Thanks
>:-)
>
>Regards
>Frank Jørgensen

Most likely your tables are not of the InnoDB type! If you haven't
enabled InnoDB, MySQL will silently change them to the MyISAM type which
doesn't support foreign keys.

The table type that MySQL decided to use can be seen by issuing a "show
table status" command.

If they are not the InnoDB type, you will need to enable InnoDB as
detailed in http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#InnoDB_start

        -Mark