> How do most users of MySQL interact with the program.  I would imagine
entering or editing large amounts of data at the command line would be quite
a task.

I have to say thhe comannd line interface is by far my preferred interface
against MySQL. There are a few free GUI tools running on windows that I have
checked out. For instance "MySQLyog", which is available for free. You could
also check out "MySQLfront". These are front-ends both valuable for
inspecting the db, importing data etc.
For inserting some amount of data the best method is to import either from
prepared SQL files or CSV (comm-separated values) files. And to me, the most
convenient way to do these things is right from the command line.
No doubt! Once you get used to this way of working, I'm sure it will become
second nature.

Best regards,

            Eivind :-)

<sql, query>