Michael,

In Oracle, with which I am much more familiar, only primary keys are
indexed automatically.  Foreign keys are not indexed automatically.  You
have to create the indexes on the foreign key columns explicitly.  My guess
is that MySQL works the same way, and that this is the source of your
difficulty.  Guessing that call_notes.note_id, users.userid, and
facility_contact.contactid are primary keys, you must still explicitly
create indexes on all 4 columns on the left side of the = signs in the
where clause.  Omitting those indexes can cause exactly the sort of
difficulty you are experiencing.  I know this first-hand.

Of course, I'm also assuming that all your tables are InnoDB tables.

Hope this helps.

--Erv Young