Is there a way to do this in one query (never mind the possibilities
for endless loops):

Say you have a table that looks like this:

fieldName       dependantOn

"joe"               "monster"
"bob"              "joe"
"briggs"
"monster"       "briggs"
"vision"

I want to do a query so that the records are ordered as follows
(based on the value of the 'dependantOn' field)

briggs
monster
joe
bob
vision

How can I do this in one query?  I obviously cannot ORDER BY
dependantOn because in the end, the dependancies wouldn't be
resolved.  ORDER BY fieldName is moot as it doesn't address
the need.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?  Is this even possible?  Or
am I barking up the wrong tree and I'm going to have to figure this
out via multiple queries?

Chris