Steven,

SW>         Our mysql server crashes relatively often.  Most of the time after a
crash, the error logs show a line like "thd->query at 0x84aef98 = show processlist"
(although some have "0x50e64580
SW> is invalid pointer" and others "(nil)  is invalid pointer").  We do have a process
which regularly does a "show processlist" on this server.
SW>         I was running the debian packaged version of mysql (latest version in
woody), but upgraded to mysql-max and ran myisamchk on all tables before starting the
database to make sure that the
SW> problems were not benig caused by table corruption.  I do not believe that we are
using any functions that require mysql-max, so if installing the binary release of
mysql is the next recommended
SW> step, I can do this.

>>How-To-Repeat:
SW>         I can not get this to happen on demand, but I was wondering if the above
lines indicate that the "show processlist" command was causing the problem.

Can you repeat it with the official MySQL binary distribution? Please, also
check the tables.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com