Hello all,

I have a table that has a column named foo.  It is enumerated with values
("Excellent","Good","Fair","Poor") and is indexed.  The table has a few
million records in it.  I recently did a select query where I mistakenly
typed "where foo='Goo'" instead of 'Good'.  This query took quite a long
time (several minutes) to return the empty set, after which I noticed the
misspelling.

Two questions:
 1) should not MySQL notice that 'Goo' is not one of the enumerated types
and return immediately the empty set?
 2) why did indexing not make this failed search return almost immediately?
 Should I bother indexing an enumerated set?

/usr/sbin/mysqld -V returns this:
  /usr/sbin/mysqld  Ver 3.23.46 for pc-linux-gnu on i686
uname -va returns this:
  Linux foobar1 2.2.18pre11-va2.1smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 29 10:12:18 PST 2001
i686 unknown

Pointers to any URLs or printed sources are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
- Robert