Peter,

PE> I store firstname, lastname, telephone etc in a table

PE> Is there any drawback with using tinytext?
PE> As I can see when I store strings that differ in length, the
PE> best would be to use tinytext, or?
PE> http://www.mysql.com/doc/n/o/node_369.html

PE> In terms of fulltextsearch/index etc.
PE> What is the difference if I use a tinytext as column type
PE> instead of a fixed char length?

CHAR column type has fixed length, use CHAR() if you know in advance how many
characters are going to be in that field.

CHAR will be slightly faster then tinytext.

Don't forget that if the table contains variable-length fields
(varchar, text, blob) then all char columns longer than 3 characters
are silently changed to VARCHAR columns:
        http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/i/Silent_column_changes.html

PE> Best regards
PE> /Peter

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com