On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:49:05PM -0700, Shakeel Sorathia wrote:
> we start up mysql.  Mysql binds to the port, then it takes about 15
> seconds for innodb to startup and get ready to start serving requests.
>  Problem is that in this 15 seconds a few hundred connections have
> queued up to mysql.  When innodb is ready to start serving data, all of
> these query's hit the base and we have a backlog of requests to serve.
>  This normally takes quite a bit of time before it is able to recover.

I don't know of any clean solutions, but how about this for a hack?

    In your mysql startup scripts, before mysql starts, configure a
    firewall rule to reject mysql connections from over the network.

    Then after mysql is started, run a utility that connects to mysql
    via UNIX domain sockets, selects a row from an innodb table, and then
    removes the firewall rule.  The select will block until innodb
    startup is complete, and in the meantime clients will keep trying
    other servers.

Ick, I feel unclean just writing that. /me washes his hands.

--
Michael Bacarella  | Netgraft Corporation
                   | 545 Eighth Ave #401
 Systems Analysis  | New York, NY 10018
Technical Support  | 212 946-1038 | 917 670-6982
 Managed Services  | [EMAIL PROTECTED]