----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Fries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Chris Knipe'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 12:38 AM
Subject: RE: sub-queries

> Chris,
>
> sounds like you're looking for an exclusive left outer join.
> You want to see records from monitorhosts, where there is no corresponding
> record
> in monitorhostgroupdetails, right?

Yes - and no.  If a HostID 1, assigned to GroupID 1, 3, and 4, then I want
to issue a query where I specify the GroupID to be 2, and HostID 1 must be
returned.  All the join statements I got so far, will only include the
hostID if it is not in monitorhostgroupdetails AT ALL.

> Use:
>
> Select *
>   from monitorhosts left join monitorhostgroupdetails on
>  monitorhosts.HostID = monitorhostgroupdetails.HostID
> where monitorhostgroupdetails.HostID is null

1) I can't specify which GroupID I want to exclude, and
2) I can't limit the hostID on a CompanyID basis (only show hosts belonging
to a certain company).
3) This now, shows all the hosts that is not in a group at all.  I need to
specify which hostID, is NOT IN a GroupID.

I can't believe that this is so difficult ?!?!?!?!?

Alternative measures.... Can this be done in two or three different
queries?? I really need to find a solution for this... :-((