I still feel the best starting point for data modelling is the original
Flemming/von Halle book, _Handbook of Relational Database Design_. It
doesn't address any individual RDBMS implementation, which makes its lessons
general, but it carefully walks you through all the fundamentals of
modelling, all the different normal forms, etc. Iin a very simple and
systematic way. If you want a basic grounding, this is the place to go.

A really spiffy way to buy this book is via this link:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201114348/vcx01-20>

The DuBois book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735709211/vcx01-20)
offers a few excellent tutorials, but I don't think it's really intended as
a data modeling guide; I always recommend combining a good book on modeling
with the best reference you can find on the implementation technology, and
the Flemming/DuBois combination implements this approach quite well.

-rob

PS: Shameless Amazon Associates linking above...but these are still the only
two books I chose to recommend.